Passion

The art of classic cooking

Wednesday 12 November 2014

Eggless Chocolava Cake / Molten Chocolate Cake / Chocolate Fondant

Do we have to wait till valentine's day to indulge in these ?? I think not :)

eggless chocolava / molten chocolate cake/ chocolate fondant


Chocolava Cake - My Dream Cake. I am a chocolate lover since a kid and haven't changed at all in that aspect. The only thing that has changed is, now I take chocolate in different forms rather than just a candy. Ever since I saw the Dominos add in TV, I couldn't wait to taste it. The hot molten chocolate oozing out was irresistible. Later when I got my oven I wanted so badly to try it. It is one of the first recipes that I tried in my oven.  As usual I saw many recipes online, but mostly all called for eggs. I don't have any problem with eggs, but I wanted to try an eggless version first. So I hunted for an eggless version and found many recipes that called for placing a chocolate bar in the center. Though the idea was good, it didn't fit the scenario I imagined like the ones in egg version ( Yes, I am a bit crazy when it comes to chocolate :) ) So I searched on and on and finally found this recipe. I slightly altered it to my taste. It was a success the very first time I tried. I couldn't have felt better, I was thrilled and overjoyed!! During that time I won't miss an opportunity to bake these. Whenever our relatives or friends visits us I will bake these. It will be so much fun to watch them enjoy it ( Ooooh, there is the lava!!! )  

Eggless Chocolava cake/ molten chocolate cake / chocolate fondant

This was the dessert that I prepared for everyone on my Neha's 2nd birthday party. I served it along with vanilla ice cream.  It was a great hit, everybody were so amazed and they loved it to the core. Unfortunately, I lost the source when I lost my phone and couldn't locate now as I searched them nearly 3 years back ( will surely add it when I find it again )

INGREDIENTS:

Dark Chocolate - 100 g ( about 1/2 cup )
Butter - 1/4 cup + for greasing
Curd - 1 tbsp
Milk - 1/4 cup
Vanilla essence - 1/2 tsp
Powdered Sugar - 1/3 cup + for dusting on top
All purpose flour / Maida - 1/ 2 cup
Baking Powder - Scant 1/2 tsp
Cocoa Powder - 1 tbsp for dusting

METHOD:
1) Melt the Chocolate and butter using double boiler method ( Just take the butter and chocolate in a clean bowl and place the bowl over a pan of simmering water such that the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl ). Allow it to cool to room temperature.
pic name pic name pic name
2) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees for 10 minutes. Prepare the ramekins by greasing with butter and dusting with cocoa powder.
pic name pic name pic name
3) Sieve together all purpose flour and baking powder and keep aside. In a bowl take curd and milk. Add powdered sugar and mix well ( you can use a hand whisk or an electric beater, I just used the latter )
pic name pic name pic name
4) Add in the vanilla essence and mix well. Next add the melted chocolate - butter mixture and beat once.
pic name pic name pic name
5) Finally fold in the sieved dry ingredients ( flour and baking powder ) with a spatula.
pic name pic name pic name
6) Pour the batter into the prepared ramekins and place in the center rack of the preheated oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until the sides are set and the center is still gooey ( refer picture )
pic name pic name pic name
You can serve as such in the ramekin itself by dusting with some powdered sugar on top along with vanilla ice cream, or you can invert them and serve on a plate. Place the ramekins in the wire rack for 2 to 3 minutes before inverting on the plate. Gently run a knife around the corners, place a plate on top of the ramekin and invert it. Remove the ramekin carefully and viola!!! there you have it the most rich and decadent Eggless ChocoLava Cake!!!!
Eggless chocolava cake / molten chocolate cake / chocolate fondant

Look at the gooey chocolate lava starting to ooze out...
Eggless chocolava cake / molten chocolate cake / chocolate fondant

NOTES:
1) Baking time varies depending on the oven and the size of the ramekins. So keep an eye on after 10 minutes. As shown in the picture in step 6 , the sides must be set and the middle will be gooey. If you gently touch the center of the cake, it won't stick to your finger ( the top will be just set to hold the shape and middle will be gooey ) This is the best I can explain for the perfect consistency of lava cake. Don't worry too much...just give it a try, it will surely turn out great.
2) Baking too long will turn it into a brownie like texture ( which will be still great yet watch carefully while baking )
3) Ramekin shape is quite important. Cylindrical ones are better.
4) I used two 150 ml ramekins for this recipe.
5) You can make one day ahead and refrigerate too. Allow it to come to room temperature before baking.


Eggless chocolava cake / molten chocolate cake / chocolate fondant

This is my entry for Blogging Marathon under Christmas festival. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#46

Also sending this to Wedding Anniversary Cakes and Sweets | HM Besties Event #02 hosted by Haffa and Monu




Cheers,
Sindhiya.S

34 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of chocs. Usually use to make desserts when I have guest coming over. Its a nice eggless version and seem like there's a big preference for cakes without eggs. This recipe is kept aside and when the time comes, replicated for its oozy center especially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious very nice that too without egg wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish i get that plate of alluring molten lava cake rite now from my lappy screen, irresistible!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...lava cake looks so moist and delicious...too good!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmmmmmm,...mouth watering Chocolava cake...Delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummm....u make the heart melt :) ;) luv it sis!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautifully and clearly explained with good pictures. Love the way you put your ingredients together and name them -makes it so much easier to remember:) heavenly lava cake

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enticing pictures and mouth watering chocolates.The blog looks very elegant.
    Thanks for the visit to my blog and kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Egg less chocolate lava cake is so good...I am bookmarking this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks perfect! love the picture with the gooey chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jayanthi,thanks for stopping by my blog...and thanks for the comments too...you are doing gr8!!....Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. choco lava cake looks irresistible dear :) looks fantastic and love the lava flowing !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, it looks amazing and I am going to share this with a few friends who don't use eggs in their diets :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cake looks awesome...........one of my favourite.useful clicks.
    www.shobhapink.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chocolate lava cake is near the top of the list of my favourite desserts. It's lovely that there are no eggs for those who have to stay away from them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nicely done..I am a chocolate addict and have done many versions of this lava cake..:)..so can imagine how sinful it must have been to make it yourself..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! I love lava cakes. Yours looks divine! Never have made one without eggs. Will try!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow. This looks super yummy and quite easy to make too. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks wonderful and lovely clicks, very nicely explained. Thanks for stopping by my space, I am happy to follow you, will be very happy if you can follow me back as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow looks so yumm.perfectly baked n nice pics..

    ReplyDelete
  21. ooh...these choco-lava cakes look like a chocoholic's dream come true....you have made them perfectly...and lovely presentation too,tanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely recipe! Thanx for linking this recipe to my ongoing event- Wedding Anniversary Cakes & Sweets

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Sindhiya and Jayanthi,
    How lovely to discover your beautiful blog and recipes! this cake is to die for! I am not a baker but you've given such detailed instructions that I think I would attempt this. It's so worth it! You have a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. The cake looks detectable :) yumm

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautifully explained,looks so yummy

    ReplyDelete
  26. I always love and enjoyed molten cake. It will nvr be enuf :) the amount of the chocolate coming out its just yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the flowing chocolate from that lava cake -- this is a crowd pleasing dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am sure chocolate lovers find paradise in there!! Stunning clicks!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. OMG - nothing should look this good

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow!!!such a delicious cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. My...I'm going to try it today only...

    ReplyDelete