Passion

The art of classic cooking

Tuesday 19 August 2014

Millet curd rice(thinai,samai,varagu curd rice)

Hi guys,my hubby used to insist me to give millets to kids and reduce the intake of white rice. When I cook it as such and serve with any curry or gravy (kulambu) both my kids started to make faces.....So I started making curd rice, kichadi and dosa using millets and got a thumbs up from both the sides!!!!
This millet curd rice can be made within 20 minutes. I usually prepare this in the morning. You can try this with any millet, and it tastes so good along with a pickle, thoviayal or potato fry, now onto the recipe.


millet curd rice,thinai,samai,varagu curd rice
 

INGREDIENTS:

Any millet -1 cup
Water - 4 cups
Milk - 1 1/2 cup(use accordingly)
Water - 2 tblsp(optional,may be less or extra)
Dry grapes - 10 to 15

To temper:
Oil - 1 1/2 tsp
Shallots - 5
Mustard -1/4 tsp
Hing - a pinch
Green chilli - 2(finely chopped)
Grated ginger - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Curry leaves - few

To garnish:
Pomegranate - 1 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves - few

PROCEDURE:
Step 1:
Wash the millet thoroughly and add it in the cooker along with 4 cups of water and pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles.

pic namepic namepic name

Step 2:
When the pressure releases open the cooker and give a stir.
Now add milk (first half cup and then remaining ,it will absorb)
Add water if necessary.
Add salt.
Add dry grapes.
Step 3:
Add items under temper and add it to the cooker.
Garnish with coriander,carrot and pomegranate.
Your yummy millet curd rice is ready.

millet curd rice,thinai,samai,varagu thayir sadam


Notes:
After adding milk,I have given add 2 tblsp of water this is to get correct consistency,else it will be so semisolid.so do add water.
You can try with any millet variety,the measurements are the same.
You can also add coriander leaves and shredded carrot at last for garnishing.
I haven't added green chilli ,as my daughter don't like it,you do add it. It gives a nice flavour.
Adding dry grapes is optional... I have added as my kids love them in curd rice ( actually they ask for more!!!)


Cheers,
Jayanthi.

No comments:

Post a Comment