Want something new and different with the Idli / Dosa batter??? then try these kara kuzhi paniyaram. Soft, fluffy with the nice little crunch from cashews and chana dal these cuties can win any heart...These are so good on their own that my MIL will have them as such without any chutney!!! However you can serve them with coriander or mint chutney or even the regular coconut chutney...
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
Chana Dal - 2 tbsp
Cahew - 7 (chopped )
Green Chilli - 2 ( finely chopped )
Onion - 1 cup ( about 2 onions finely chopped)
Curry Leaves - few (finely chopped )
Oil -1 tbsp +4 tsp ( or as reqiured )
Salt - to taste
1) In a pan heat 1 tbsp oil and temper with mustard. After it splutters add urad dal, channa dal and cashews. Toss a little and then add green chilli and curry leaves and fry till dals turn golden brown and nice aroma comes.
2) Next add onions and toss a little till it all gets mixed (no need to cook till soft ).
5) Flip them using a knife or a spoon and cook till golden brown ( about 1 minute )
These paniyaram make a wonderful breakfast or even a good evening snack...
1) You can even add grated carrot for a different flavour.
2) It goes well with spicy hot tomato chutney too ( which is my sister's favourite ).